Subscribe in a reader

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Whacky

Now, I'm a fan of neither Hillary Clinton nor The Sopranos, so it was particularly surreal to find out about and then watch the video of Hillary and Bill aping the final scene in Tony Soprano's fictional life on You Tube. My review of it is that it is lame. Politicians with no discernible sense of humor of their own shouldn't try to yuk it up on You Tube.

I'm not a fan of The Sopranos for several reasons, none of which necessarily apply to anyone else on the planet. First of all, I almost never watch dramas. I've got enough problems of my own without adding those of some fictional idiots on top. And drama on television, no matter how celebrated, tends toward melodrama rather than tragedy, soap opera instead of Death of a Salesman. And, at the end of the day, can we really say that The Sopranos is anything other than Dallas or Dynasty with violence, nudity, and profanity?

Finally, I grew up in a state that was still entangled with the Mob into my youth and early adulthood. I knew people who were connected, restaurateurs mainly. I knew a guy who found out that he could get somebody beaten up for a small fee. I did dinner theater at one restaurant where we couldn't rehearse on Wednesdays because of private "card parties" and where the remains of two guys who had been missing for some years turned up when the place was torn down.

I even knew somebody who got whacked. He was the cousin of a friend and he stole cars for a living and he turned state's evidence and "they" found out about it and "they" blew his brains out in a stolen car in Lincoln Woods.

I could go on and on.

I didn't watch The Sopranos for the same reason my father wouldn't watch war movies. I've had my fill of it for real.

As for Hillary, I'm not a fan because she blows with the prevailing wind and seems to have no convictions other than an overwhelming desire to slake her thirst for power and prestige. I have no problem with a woman being President. Such a turn of affairs might be just what we need. But not this lady. And not another Clinton or Bush. Enough with the dynasties. We need fresh blood and new ideas, and I don't know who to recommend for that. In fact, I'm not even going to try to decide for another six months because it's too soon to care.

And don't get me started on Celine Dion!