Subscribe in a reader

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

"Plant Your Wagon" Update

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I finished the third episode of "Plant Your Wagon" over the weekend. At least, I think I did. The problem is that the script is about five minutes short for public radio standards. It was theoretically possible to finish the whole shebang off in one scene, but I already have the final song written, which would take up about two minutes, leaving me only three minutes to wrap up the whole story. That, to me, seems to be shortchanging the work as a whole, and I'd rather be right than on schedule.

And I closed the last scene on the perfect note for the end of an episode. So, end it short I will.

Right now, I think I'll just fill in the time with a conversation with a couple of members of the cast, just get a couple of people around a table with microphones and talk about whatever for however long and then edit it down to the best five minutes.

At this point, I don't know that the fourth episode will turn out to be a full 26 minutes of dialogue either, so I might round that out with a one-act or maybe more conversation. I'm in a mood to buck the system, so why not?

Since "Plant Your Wagon" is going longer than I expected, I'm going to have to write at least one more song and think through the whole sequence of events before I start trying to write it, so I think I'm going to concentrate on Drayton for a while and try to get that draft finished so that I can add to my collection of rejection slips before I'm too old to appreciate them.

And, of course, I'll keep blogging.

No comments: